Saturday, 19 September 2026

Interrail Diaries #5

 Interrail Diaries #5: The Twerps in Antwerp. :D

We hadn't planned much to do in Antwerp because we were staying in the city centre we figured we'd just walk around and see what was cool. First stop was coffee because the powdered oat milk that I bought was pretty weird, we were also pretty hungry too because the room we were in had no fridge or cooking thing we didn't have anything to eat, bar some apples. 

As we headed to the coffee shop it started raining which it would do nearly all day - of course until we were back inside lol. Too hungry to function we first picked up some sandwiches from a place that did weird vegan fillings and then we went to the cutest coffee shop for drinks but also got a slice of apple cake and a cookie. 

Americano for me and oat vanilla latte for evan! :p

 The rain was still kicking so we decided to brave it and walk to the Bejinhof of Antewerp, which was sadly having construction work but still very beautiful.

Cannot believe people still live here! the dream..

Each door of each house had beautiful calligraphy of a saints name.

The Bejinhof church - super peaceful

 Afterwards we just started walking in a random direction and ended up at the Museum aan de stroom, which is a pretty famous cubey building. You can go up the top for free and look at the view via like 10 escalators, even though it was raining and cloudy it was still a nice experience. We also got to go to the only free exhibit they have which is like a peek into their warehouse. We got to watch a really interesting clip about this lady who collects porcelain dolls and some of her dolls were there to see too.

Looks old timey in a way lmao

Cute nun doll

Portrait of the collector by her dad

After that we sat by the docks and ate our sandwiches which were honestly really mid so I will not being spilling the name of the shop. I was kinda tired already and it was only midday so to pep me up we went to an arts supply shop by the university and I got some oil pastel crayons that I've been wanting for a while yay! We then walked through town to a yarn shop that had an amazing selection of wools so Evan was happy happy happy~ I was fading at this point so we stopped at Panos (Belgian greggs LOL) and I got my Belgian waffle. We also went to the supermarket and got dinner-y things because the vegan scene in Antwerp is expensive and we saving our coins for Amsterdam. In the evening I went on a little walk and looked at some of the street shrines which are like everywhere, way more than I saw in Italy which is where I'd def expect to see them more.

The next day we gathered up our things and hit the tram, then Albert Heijn - for tasty wraps, then the train to Amsterdam yay! The train ride was super sweet, really pretty views and I devoured a cinnamon bun from AH too that was soo tasty - kinda outsold Panos waffle... :0. In front of us on the train were these kids making signs for a climate protest that was happening in Amsterdam that day - it was so cool to see. Before long we had made it - our final destination: the city of canals, getting hit by bikes and tourists being really high before 11am - Amsterdam!  Catch us next time for Interrail Diaries #6!    

No comments:

Post a Comment